Teaching KYDZ and strengthening communities.
Fitness Tips for Kids
In a culture inundated with electronic devices and video games, it is important for our children to stay active. Lack of physical activity and poor eating habits can lead to numerous health issues, including childhood obesity, Type 2 diabetes and depression. Leading an active lifestyle will help your child maintain a healthy weight, while increasing strength and mobility. It will also benefit their mind and spirit by increasing their attention spans and improving their mood. In 2015-16, The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported childhood obesity effected 18.5% of youth in the United States.
KYDZ NATION Child Development Centers want your child to grow-up healthy & happy!
Here are some fitness tips you can enjoy right at home!
- Get out and play: Sitting around the house too long isn’t good for anybody. Encourage your little ones to play catch or kick a ball around. Visit the local playground or hop on one of the many bike trails in and around the city.
- Get into the groove: Nowadays, everything old is new (and cool) again! Leggings are all the rage and TV networks are bringing back classic programs from our childhood. Kids love it and so do we! Put on some dance tunes from the 1980s and 90s and show your kiddos your moves. Not only will you all sweat a lot, there will no doubt be a lot of laughter.
- Turn off the devices: Some studies suggest parents should limit their children’s activity on electronic devices to about 40 minutes per day. If you’ve introduced these devices to your children, be sure to monitor their usage.
- Walk around the block: Talking a walk around your neighborhood is not only healthy, it’s a good way to meet your neighbors.
- Play leapfrog. This refers to the game of leapfrog, not the device! Playing games like tag, leapfrog or even jumping rope is a great way to get the heart pumping.
- Enjoy the seasons. As the seasons change, there are a ton of ways your kids can enjoy the outdoors. Rake the leaves and put a special pile aside for your kids to run and jump in. Take a nature hike and collect leaves or look for bugs. During the winter, encourage sledding and playing in the snow.
Getting out and being active with your children is a great way to encourage a healthy lifestyle. It’s also a great way to bond as family. KYDZ Nation supports, teaches and nurtures good habits in children and their families. Continue to check our blog for more easy and fun ways to help strengthen our families and our communities!